Skip navigation
What if you're injured at work?

If you're injured at work or trade school as an apprentice, here's what you need to do:

Apprentices are covered by Workcover just like any other worker in Victoria.

  • Report the injury to your employer in writing and let your Registered Training Organisation (TAFE) know as well. 
  • Make an appointment to see your OWN doctor & obtain a Workcover certificate of capacity, if time off is required. 
  • Lodge a claim for Workcover with your employer, either in person or send through the post. 
  • If you think your employer will not process the claim or doesn't accept the claim from you, it can be lodged directly with WorkSafe. 
  • You MUST attend all doctors appointments arranged by the Workover insurance company. 
  • Keep copies of all paperwork (claim form, certificates of capacity, medical receipts).
  • Continue to obtain Workcover certificates of capacity from your doctor (the first certificate is for 14 days and then every 28 days). 

To find out more about Workcover or if you need assistance lodging a claim, contact The Young Workers Centre or find support here.